Saturday, August 14, 2010

DAY 10

Today we were in Reykjavik, Iceland. It was a really warm and sunny day all day.
Today was the roughly-biweekly full crew drill. This is where the entire ship gets exercised in their emergency duties. I am in the boundary cooling party, which means in case of a fire I am partly responsible for making sure that the outside of the area the fire is in is kept cool to prevent the spread of fire to other areas of the ship.

There was a crew tour to the Blue Lagoon, which is a large hot spring that features a geyser as well. The tour was from about 1200 to about 1600. The owner of the area has made it into a sort of spa resort.

I continued on with the fire detection system and the lifts.

In the evening there were Senior Officers’ Cocktails where only passengers invited by officers attend. This event is held in the Horizon lounge at the very top and back-end of the ship. I ended up chatting with a very nice mother daughter duo from Redding, the daughter being one of the youngest passengers I have seen on this ship in a while. Since this is a child-free ship the age limit is 18 years old. They seemed to be having a great time on their cruise and were really grateful to have been invited to the cocktails. There was a 60s/70s theme all night on the ship and passengers are encouraged to air out their bellbottoms and flower shirts and dress up. A few people showed up at the cocktails looking like hippies.

After the cocktails I went up to the Conservatory for dinner and joined a couple of other officers just starting to eat. It was an Asian/Oriental Buffet and it was amazing. I liked absolutely everything that ended up on my plate and I wanted seconds. I was stuffed by the end, but still managed a dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment