Tuesday, August 17, 2010

DAY 11

Today was the first of two sea days before we get to Greencastle, Northern Ireland.


Sea days for the electrical department are generally a bit quieter than those in port, which is ironic because we tend to want to get off the ship in port.

There were absolutely no issues at all with the lifts today. Until about 1800, when I had to put a crew lift back into service after a fault had occurred.

Tonight in the wardroom was an event called Race Night organized by one of the officers on board. The idea is to create an atmosphere that evokes an English darby. A few days before the event, an email was sent out asking if anyone would like to buy a horse for 10 quid each. These people became known as owners and profited threefold if their horse won their race.

The race itself was randomly selected people in the wardroom at the time with a broomstick horse between their legs as the jockeys. Each horse had a different colour and there were 4 horses; blue, red, yellow, and green. There was a “race course” set up that consisted of essentially a 4 x 15 square grid. There were numerous things laying on the grid and if you happen to land on one you had the accept the consequences.

I bought a horse but it ran terrible so I lost my race. I managed to win betting on a horse in a different race. When I was a jockey I rode my horse to victory for another officer. After a few drinks it was off the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment